Consider some of the web services you use on a daily basis and presumably take for granted, such as when your Facebook timeline instantly changes on your screen or Google offers search results based on a few letters you’ve started entering.
- 1996 Release of JScript as part of Microsoft’s Internet Explorer (IE).
- 1997 Release of ECMAScript that tries to standardise scripting for browsers.
- 1998 – 2003 ECMAScript 2 and 3 are released, but IE dominates the browser market with JScript.
- 2004 – 2005 Mozilla releases firefox that changed the browser market. ECMAScript 4 is in the works, but not widely used.
- 2003 – 2007 JQuery and many other open-source libraries appear to address cross-browser compatibility.
- 2008 – 2009 After historical conference in Oslo, browser vendors jointy release ECMAScript 5.
- 2015 ECMAScript 6 is released.